04 February 2007

a quick update...

02. Feb. 07

[ Aaron got himself out of bed today. He needed a drink of water. He didn't realize that he wouldn't be able to support himself once he got out and he ended up on the floor. I left when the nurse came in to do something and she left him alone, when I came back he was on the floor. I asked him if he hurt anything, "Nothin' but my ego." I pressed the nurse button but of course they didn't answer in a timely manner. Lucky for us two of the physical therapists were walking by and I yelled for them. They came in and got Aaron up, made sure he hadn't hurt himself and went to find the nurse.

In speech therapy, Aaron learned today tht he has to answer the simple questions before he can move on to the more advanced stuff so that they can gauge the level of his cognitive functioning. I guess you can imagine that Aaron didn't/doesn't like that so well, "I have not lost any of my linguistics skills!!" My man has a tendency to "over-complicate"/"over-explain" things.
Example:
What do you do with water?
A: it's the life sustaining liquid
Preferred answer: you drink it

He said that they succeeded in making him feel stupid answering the simple questions.
Aaron is doing really well in PT. If he's strong enough to get himself out of bed that means he's doing really well. He is able to keep his balance and kick his feet while sitting up. The therapists were really impressed today! His walking is improving alot. His strides are getting bigger, he's standing up straighter and he's lifting his feet more. I'll let you know the first time he goes unassisted.

Tonight was the first time he got mad at me when I left. "You're taking me with you, right?" I told him he had to stay in the hospital until he got better and he said, "fuck you," I said thanks. I figure the less I react to the fuck yous and bitches, the less he'll say them. We'll see. ]

1 comment:

ananda : sanskrit for bliss said...

glad to hear he's doing better. i'm sending up lots of prayers. xoxo.