18 January 2010

my lovely friend

beautiful words from my lovely best friend, mary beth.

today was the sort of day best spent in bed. torrential downpour, chilly temps - the antithesis of a usual los angeles morning. but today was the first day of my 40 day home practice challenge, and i have committed.

so i rolled out my yoga mat and sat down and let my practice unfold. in one of my favorite books, bringing yoga to life, the author donna farhi writes about coming to your mat every day no matter what. whether you are tired, giddy, hungry, or grieving the constant in your life must be coming to your mat and sitting with whatever is happening inside of you.

how often do we actually acknowledge what is going on in our lives, or even in our heads? how often do we take the time to reflect?

i’m pretty sure most people would answer - not very often.

so i sat with what i was feeling. i was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of studying ahead of me in my 300-hour yoga teacher training. i was feeling drained by a squabble with my boyfriend. i was feeling a little sick from the chai i had in the morning.

and slowly it all began to lift. did it all go away? no, of course not. but through my breath and movement i was able to find a spaciousness in my heart and my body began to fit a little bit better.

i’m looking forward to these 40 days of exploring. digging. releasing. allowing.

No comments: